More State News
Facts at a Glance
|Use the Education Counts Database to find more detailed state information, ranks, comparisons across states, national statistics and more.|
|Superintendent of Public Instruction:||Elsie Arntzen|
|Quality Counts state grade:||C|
|Number of school districts:||499|
|Number of public schools:||831|
|Number of public school teachers:||10,234|
|Unadjusted education spending per student:||$11,017|
|Percent minority students:||20.4%|
|Percent of students eligible for free/reduced price lunch:||43.6%|
|Percent of students with disabilities:||11.8%|
|Percent of English-language learners:||2.3%|
|NAEP Mathematics 2015 percent proficient|
|4th grade math:||40.9%|
|8th grade math:||38.9%|
|NAEP Reading 2015 percent proficient|
|4th grade reading:||37.3%|
|8th grade reading:||36.9%|
Thirteen Western states that are home to more than 93 percent of the nation’s federally owned land have formed a coalition to lobby Washington for an annual $4 billion in lost local and state property-tax revenues on the federal land, nearly $1.9 billion of which would have gone to pay for public education.
December 13, 2006 – Education Week
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship
- Department Of Energy, Washington D.C.
- Special Education
- Marion County Public Schools, Ocala, Florida
- Director of the Gan Preschool at Adas Israel Congregation, Washington, DC, starting 7/1/2019
- The Gan at Adas Israel, 2850 Quebec St, NW, Washington D.C.
- Chief Communications Officer
- Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, Georgia
- Director of System Level Partnerships
- Teaching Matters, New York City, New York