The latest news about special education, including articles, Commentaries, and special features.
A federal judge told the Trump administration it can't delay a policy aimed at drawing closer attention to minority over-representation in special education. Here are seven key things to know. (March 20, 2019)
EDUCATION WEEK EXPERTS
Video: A Colorado Leader Taps Teacher Specialists to Serve All Students
• Special Education
On Special Education Blog
This special report on RTI—Education Week’s second such report—explores the challenges facing educators as they adopt RTI for new uses, scale it up to more schools and districts, and use it to improve learning for all students.
Next Steps: Life After Special Education
While the nation's graduation rate has hit another historic high, prospects are more mixed for children and youths with disabilities, according to Diplomas Count 2015.
Special Education: Practice & Pitfalls
Educators and parents use a range of promising tools as they work to serve the needs of the nation’s 6 million students with disabilities amid continuing challenges.
Education Week Quizzes
What are the essential components of response to intervention (RTI) initiatives, how have schools struggled to implement RTI, and what factors have contributed to school improvement?
Quiz Yourself: How Much Do You Know About Dyslexia?
What are the early signs of dyslexia in children, how can educators improve a child's reading accuracy, and what is the state of dyslexia-specific laws in the U.S.?
Here's a look at which districts identified themselves as having racial and ethnic disparities in special education in the 2015-16 school year.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Elementary Teacher
- LaTanja Riley-Hedgepeth - [email protected], Newport News, Virginia
- High School Principal
- Paramount Unified School District, California
- Education Program Manager II, Chief of Special Education Performance Support & Technical Assistance
- Maryland State Dept of Education, Baltimore, Maryland
- School Principal
- Immaculate High School, Danbury, Connecticut
- High School Teacher (Social Studies, Spanish, Counselor, Music/Drama)
- Erie High School in the St. Vrain Valley School District, Erie, Colorado