The latest news about English-language learners, including articles, opinion essays, and special features.
The rocky shift to remote learning has exacerbated inequities for the nation's 5 million English-learners. An army of multilingual liaisons work round the clock to plug widening gaps. (April 27, 2020)
EDUCATION WEEK EXPERTS
Amid rapid growth, educators are finding new ways to better serve English-Language Learners. In this Spotlight, discover how districts are building workforces that mirror their student bodies, how educators are supporting ELLs with disabilities, and how parental fluency affects a student’s chance for success in school..
Learning the Language Blog
Education Week Quiz
What are common instructional approaches for teaching ELLs, what is the effect of labels on English-learners, and how are schools educating immigrant children?
In this webinar, two experts offer guidance on identifying and serving advanced ELLs and building a stronger gifted program.
This 2017 report explores questions around which instructional strategies work best for ELL students, including whether a bilingual approach to teaching English-learners puts students at an advantage. (Report also available in Spanish.)
Teaching Migrant Children
Tens of thousands of children have fled chaos in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, surviving dangerous journeys and confinement in shelters in a quest to get to the U.S.-Mexico border. Now, many are living in communities and attending schools across the United States and face new risks and ominous questions about their futures.
See where English-language learners live and which home languages they speak.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Join Volusia County School District for a Virtual Career Fair for Teachers
- EdWeek Top School Jobs, Deland, Florida
- Join University Prep Schools for a Virtual Career Fair for Teachers
- EdWeek Top School Jobs, Detroit, Michigan
- Join Manassas City Public Schools for a Virtual Career Fair for Teachers
- EdWeek Top School Jobs, Manassas, Virginia
- Join Waterbury Public Schools for a Virtual Career Fair for Teachers
- EdWeek Top School Jobs, Waterbury, Connecticut
- Join SEED School of Maryland for a Virtual Career Fair for Teachers
- EdWeek Top School Jobs, Baltimore, Maryland