The latest news about diversity in schools, including articles, Commentaries, and special features.
Some teachers simulate slavery in their classrooms to try to foster empathy. But in practice, many educators say, these activities can minimize horrific events, recreate racist power dynamics, and cause emotional hurt to black students. (March 27, 2019)
Learning the Language Blog
This reporting series highlights some of the unseen disparities that contribute to achievement gaps among students across the nation.
Teaching America’s English-Language Learners
Articles in this special report explore the efforts states and school districts are making to effectively teach English-language learners.
Raising Kings: A Year of Love and Struggle at Ron Brown College Prep (Audio Series)
The three-part audio series Raising Kings profiles a high school for young men of color in Washington, D.C., where educators devote as much time to meeting the social-emotional needs of their students as they do their academic needs.
Identifying and serving advanced ELLs can not only help districts respond to new federal reporting requirements, but build a stronger gifted program too.
Building Bridges to Success for English-Language Learners
Join us for a conversation with researchers and educators to explore how to build bridges, not barriers, to success for English-learners.
Education Week Quiz
Quiz Yourself: How large is the gap between school demographics and educational content, how can educators support English-Language Learners, and what are effective ways to hire a more diverse teacher workforce?
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- District Superintendent & Chief Executive Officer
- Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES, New Hartford, New York
- Assistant Principal
- Elmwood Village Charter School, Buffalo, New York
- Resident Teacher - Master's Degree Programs
- Academy for Urban School Leadership, Chicago, Illinois
- Education Program Manager II, Chief of Special Education Performance Support & Technical Assistance
- Maryland State Dept of Education, Baltimore, Maryland
- Elementary Teacher
- LaTanja Riley-Hedgepeth - [email protected], Newport News, Virginia