Regional Cost Differences in Education
Per-pupil expenditures (PPEs) are frequently reported school finance statistics. However, the cost of delivering a public education varies widely across regions and states due to such factors as differences in local labor markets. In Quality Counts 2008, the EPE Research Center adjusted PPEs using the Cost of Education Index from the National Center for Education Statistics to provide a better sense of how far educational dollars go. Compared to unadjusted PPEs, the Research Center found that in the 2004-05 school year, the difference between cost-adjusted and unadjusted PPEs was more than $1,000 in 12 states. Alaska shows the largest change, with the adjusted expenditures $2,285 lower than the unadjusted figure ($10,847). For more state-by-state data, explore our Education Counts database.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- Join Collaborative for Educational Services for a Virtual Career Fair for Teachers
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, Northampton, Massachusetts
- Chief Academic Officer
- Middletown Public Schools, Middletown, Connecticut
- Teacher of the Blind / Visually Impaired
- Detroit Lakes Public Schools, Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
- 2019-20 Middle or High School Inclusion Specialist (SpEd) Teacher ($7,500 signing bonus)
- Bright Star Schools, Los Angeles, California