Effective as of September 1, 2019.
Table of Contents
Personal Information We Collect
How We Use Your Personal Information
Cookies, Advertisement, and Similar Technologies
How We Share Your Personal Information
Other Important Privacy Information
How to Contact Us
↑ Back to Top
Personal Information We Collect
Information You Give Us. Personal information you may provide through the Sites or otherwise communicate to us includes:
- Account Registration. When you create an account, we will collect information such as your email, password, first and last name, job title, organization, address, how you are connected to education, and your display name for comments.
- Purchases. If you sign up for a subscription or make a purchase (e.g. product purchase, paid webinar registration, etc.), we will collect information needed to process and fulfill your order, including your credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, security code, billing address, and delivery address.
- Free Newsletters. If you sign up for a newsletter, we will collect your email address.
- Contact Information. We collect your contact details and information about your company when you provide it to us through the Sites or otherwise.
- User Generated Content. We may collect content or other information that you may provide or create when you interact with the Sites, such as when you post comments on articles and discussion forums or information that you submit to our online calendar.
- Webinar, Online Summit, and Events Information. If you register for or participate in one of our webinars, online summits, or events, we may collect the information you provide to us in connection with the webinar, online summit, or event.
- Alerts. If you sign up for an alert, we will collect information to contact you about the alert requested.
- Tours. If you schedule a tour, we will collect your first and last name, work email, state of residence, and phone number.
- Surveys. If you fill out a survey, we will collect the information requested in the survey.
- Forms. If you fill out a form, we will collect the information requested in the form.
- Materials and Events. If you access features such as white papers or a sales presentation, we may collect personal information from you before you can access the feature.
- Correspondence. We may collect information about you that you provide when you request information from us or otherwise correspond with us.
- Jobs. If you apply for a job through our Sites, we will collect your resume and other background information relating to your job application.
- Advertising. If you request information to advertise with us, we will collect your first and last name, job title, company name, phone number, and email address to provide you access to our rate card and editorial calendar information.
Information Automatically Collected. Our servers and third party service providers may automatically record certain information about how you use the Sites and the computers or devices you use to access the Sites, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, domain name, device and browser type, operating system, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, clickstream data, the pages or features of the Sites that you browse and the time you spend on those pages or features, the frequency with which you use the Sites, the links that you click on or use and other statistics. We collect this information in server logs and by using cookies, web beacons and similar tracking technologies.
How We Use Your Personal Information
To Operate the Sites. We use your personal information:
- to provide, operate and improve the Sites and the services we offer through them;
- to develop, market, and test our products;
- to provide you with the products and services that you order;
- to communicate with you about the Sites, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, messages related to your order or subscription, and support and administrative messages;
- to communicate with you about events, webinars, and online summits in which you participate;
- to send you newsletters you request and communications regarding our and our advertisers’ and joint marketing partners’ products and services;
- to understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Sites;
- to provide you with more relevant advertising, marketing, and promotional communications;
- to request your participation in user surveys; and
- to respond to your requests, questions and feedback related to the Sites.
For Research and Development. We analyze use of the Sites to study trends and users’ movements around the Sites, gather demographic information about our user base, improve the Sites and develop new products and services.
To Post Your Comments on Our Sites. You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personal information online in a public area of the Sites, such as on discussion forums, or in chat areas, that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides EPE. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party use of information that you disclose in a public area on any of the Sites.
To Manage Events. We use your contact details and other personal information to plan and host events or webinars for which you have registered or that you attend, including sending related communications to you.
To Send You Marketing and Promotional Communications. We may send you promotions, newsletters or other marketing communications, but you may opt out of receiving them as described in the Opt Out of Marketing section below.
To Create Anonymous Data. We may create aggregated and other anonymous data from our users’ information. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties to understand and improve the Sites, promote our business and for other lawful business purposes.
For Compliance, Fraud Prevention and Safety. We may use your personal information and share it with government officials, law enforcement or private parties, as we believe appropriate to:
- protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity;
- comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; and
- where permitted by law in connection with a legal investigation.
Job Applications. If you apply for a job through our Sites, we may share your job application information with the companies and recruiters related to the jobs in which you are interested in applying. You may elect to make your resume searchable. Please be aware that if you voluntarily display or distribute personal information (e.g. your contact information or resume information) in any public area of our Sites such information may be collected and used by third parties.
Paid Subscriptions. If you register or subscribe to access premium content, we may also sell your name and mailing address to third parties.
Materials and Events. If you complete a form in order to access materials (e.g. white papers) or events, we may share the information you provide with the applicable third party (if any).
Advertisers. We may share web usage information about visitors to our Sites with advertising companies for the purpose of managing and targeting advertisements, for market research analysis on our Sites and other sites, and for ad impression reporting.
Service Providers. We may share your personal information with third party companies and individuals as needed for them to provide us with services that help us provide the Sites or support our business activities (such as website analytics, email delivery, marketing/advertising, IT providers, technical support, and legal and other professional advice). We authorize these third parties to access your personal information to the extent reasonably necessary for them to provide their services.
For Compliance, Fraud Prevention and Safety. We may share your personal information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes described above.
Business Transfers. We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, in connection with a business deal (or potential business deal) such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a user of the Sites and a California resident, California’s “Shine the Light” law permits you to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information regarding our disclosure of your personal information (if any) to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If this law applies to you and you would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to [email protected].
- First-party Cookies. By showing how and when visitors use the Sites, our cookies help us track user trends and patterns. Cookies make your experience easier by saving your preferences and passwords. Cookies also help us estimate our audience size, and determine which areas of the Sites are the most popular.
Flash Cookies. When we post videos, third parties may use local shared objects, known as flash cookies to store your preferences for volume control or to personalize certain video features. Flash cookies are different from cookies because of the amount and type of data and how the data is stored.
Web Beacons. EPE also uses Web beacons (invisible images also known as “single-pixel GIFs” or “Pixel Tags”) to count users who visit the Sites, record the pages you visit on our Sites to improve the relevancy of the advertisements displayed to you, and record whether you have opened or clicked links within emails.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit https://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Opt Out of Marketing Emails. You may opt out of marketing-related emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in the email. You may continue to receive administrative and other non-marketing emails.
Opt Out of Information Sales in Connection with Paid Subscriptions. If you register or subscribe to access premium content, you may opt out of our sale to third parties of your name and mailing address information associated with your account by calling customer service at 1-800-445-8250.
Edit Account Information. You can update or correct any information associated with your account by visiting “My Account”, and you can change any information in your community profile by clicking your display name; both links can be found in many pages of the Sites. We may also retain your information for fraud prevention or similar purposes.
Opt Out of Cookies. Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. However, if you prefer, you can set your browser to either notify you when you receive a cookie or to refuse to accept cookies. It is possible, however, that some areas of the Sites will not function properly if you decline or disable Internet cookies while visiting or otherwise using the website. If you would like more information about this practice and about your option not to accept cookies, please click here. Cookie management tools will not remove flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for flash cookies, click here. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Some advertising networks offer you a way to opt out of targeted advertising. For more information, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance at https://www.aboutads.info or the Network Advertising Initiative at https://optout.networkadvertising.org.
Opt Out of Google Analytics. You may opt-out of data collection and use by Google Analytics by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Opt Out of Adobe Analytics. You may opt-out of data collection and use by Adobe Analytics by visiting https://www.adobe.com/privacy/opt-out.html.
Other Important Privacy Information
Third Party Sites and Services. The Sites may contain links to other websites and services operated by third parties. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. We do not control third party websites, applications or services, and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding their collection, use and sharing of your personal information. We encourage you to read their privacy policies to learn more.
Security Practices. The security of your personal information is important to us. We employ a number of organizational, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we collect. However, security risk is inherent in all internet and information technologies and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. If you have a user account for the Sites, you are solely responsible for maintaining and protecting the confidentiality of your account username, password and other account information in your possession.
Use of Sites by Visitors Outside of the United States. The Sites are operated from the United States. Any information we obtain about you in connection with your use of the Sites may be processed and stored in, and subject to the laws of, the United States or other countries. Privacy laws in the locations where we process and store your personal information may not be as protective as the privacy laws in your home country.
Children. The Sites are not directed at, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from, anyone under the age of 13.
How to Contact Us
Editorial Projects in Education, Inc.
6935 Arlington Road, Suite 100
Bethesda, MD 20814