April 8, 1998
Vol. 17, Issue 30
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
It seems like a given: Teach a teacher well, and that teacher will teach students well. Teach students well, and they learn more.
PAGE 35 - Commentary
One might think that if parents dug deep into their pockets to help their children the parents would be kissed on both cheeks, maybe even awarded a new Colin Powell civil-society award. Not so if parents rush to assist a public school in New York City, Denver, Los Angeles, or most other jurisdictions.
PAGE 52 - Commentary
The federal government and foundations sponsor report after report describing programs said to raise student achievement, particularly that of poor, urban, and minority children. Many articles in scholarly and practitioner journals also describe programs that apparently raise students' test scores.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Variety of Teaching, Support & Coaching Positions in beautiful, western, Colorado!
- Garfield School District Re-2, Nationwide
- Director - Instructional Leadership
- Center for Educational Leadership, University of Washington College of Education, Nationwide
- High School Principal - award winning school in beautiful CAPE COD, MA
- Nauset Public Schools, Eastham, Massachusetts
- Teach Western Mass - Openings in Math/SPED/ESL!
- Teach Western Mass, Springfield, Massachusetts
- Vice President for Academic Services
- Oklahoma School of Science and Math, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma