February 4, 1998
Vol. 17, Issue 21
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 47 - Commentary
California's charter school law is now five years old, and many of the charters created in the wake of its passage are up for renewal. How are these schools doing? Have they begun to improve public education as a whole? The safest thing to say is that, for many of us working in them, charter schools are more than we ever expected.
PAGE 72 - Commentary
In October, the influential, nonpartisan opinion-research group Public Agenda released a report entitled "Different Drummers: How Teachers of Teachers View Public Education," recounting the results of a survey of the professional opinions of a sampling of this country's "professors of education." ("Professors' Attitudes Out of Sync, Study Finds," Oct. 29, 1997.)
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- Principal, Northview High School
- Dothan City Schools, Dothan, Alabama
- Teach Western Mass - Openings in Math/SPED/ESL!
- Teach Western Mass, Springfield, Massachusetts
- Charter School Teachers
- RCMA Charter Schools, Immokalee, Florida
- Director - Instructional Leadership
- Center for Educational Leadership, University of Washington College of Education, Nationwide