October 12, 1994
Vol. 14, Issue 06
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
With a provision attached to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, Congress has laid to rest--at least temporarily--a pitched battle over the extent to which special-needs students should be guaranteed access to vocational programs and federal vocational-education funding.
PAGE 32 - Commentary
I grew up believing numbers were true. "Math is beautiful," my uncle would say. "With all the uncertainties of life, math provides a place where there is such a thing as one right answer."
PAGE 33 - Commentary
"Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinion in good men [and women] is but knowledge in the making." Thus wrote the great English poet John Milton in his Areopagitica, a defense of unlicensed printing.
PAGE 44 - Commentary
In more than 30 years as a self-styled school reformer and critic of the educational status quo, I have learned one lesson over and over from observing or being involved in many, many failed reform attempts and a few wonderful successes.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- High School Principal
- Garfield School District Re-2, Rifle, Colorado
- Teach Western Mass - Openings in Math/SPED/ESL!
- Teach Western Mass, Springfield, Massachusetts
- High School Principal - award winning school in beautiful CAPE COD, MA
- Nauset Public Schools, Eastham, Massachusetts
- Director - Instructional Leadership
- Center for Educational Leadership, University of Washington College of Education, Nationwide
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts