September 21, 1994
Vol. 14, Issue 03
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 32 - Commentary
Public school officials offer a variety of reasons for why school-levy campaigns are so often defeated. Perhaps the two heard most frequently are that the pool of voters sympathetic to school levies has grown smaller as school-age populations have grown smaller, and that voters can most easily express their frustration over growing taxes by rejecting school levies.
PAGE 33 - Commentary
At the National Education Association's convention in New Orleans this past summer, delegates and participants were asked their views on physical contact with students--not corporal punishment, mind you, but rather, the reassuring hand-on-the-shoulder contact that connects one human being, literally and figuratively, with another.
PAGE 40 - Commentary
Sometimes it seems like everything about me is middle. I'm a middle-aged guy; I teach middle-level courses in statistics and testing at a mid-sized, middle-of-the-road university in the Midwest (my school is in the Mid-American Conference).
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- Charter School Teachers
- RCMA Charter Schools, Immokalee, Florida
- Director - Instructional Leadership
- Center for Educational Leadership, University of Washington College of Education, Nationwide
- High School Principal - award winning school in beautiful CAPE COD, MA
- Nauset Public Schools, Eastham, Massachusetts
- Principal, Northview High School
- Dothan City Schools, Dothan, Alabama