October 3, 1992
Vol. 10, Issue 05
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 26 - Commentary
Storm clouds are gathering over public education as two powerful forces collide: the need for school reform and the contingencies of an impending recession.
PAGE 36 - Commentary
The subtitle of Shelby Steele's The Content of Our Character is "A New Vision of Race in America." But the observations of the award-winning writer and English professor are for the most part deeply personal. Using his own life experiences, he explores how and why block Americans carry within a "memory of oppression [that] has such power, magnitude, depth, and nuance that it constantly drains our best resources." In the following excerpt, he discusses how early wounds to the spirit can be fostered in the school setting.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Teacher (K4-8) Monolingual English or Bilingual English/Spanish
- La Causa, Inc. / La Causa Charter School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Kindergarten Teacher
- SOAR Elementary School, Denver, Colorado
- Director of Curriculum/Instruction and Assessment
- JCFS Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship
- Department Of Energy, Washington D.C.