January 23, 1991
Vol. 10, Issue 18
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 22, 24
PAGE 30 - Commentary
The public schools have always been attractive targets for dogooders and reformers who want to implement utopian visions. And since A Nation at Risk helped quicken the impulse for educational change, we've had business and political leaders, professional groups, and concerned citizens busy producing a cornucopia of nostrum--merit pay, parental choice, restructuring, magnet schools, etc., etc. etc.
PAGE 40 - Commentary
so deeply ingrained in our consciousness is the idea of "local control of education" that few Americans even think about it any more. Like "separation of church and state," "civilian control of the military," and "equality of opportunity," the phrase rolls off the tongue without even engaging the mind. To suggest that it may be obsolete or harmful is like hinting that Mom's apple pie is laced with arsenic.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Elementary, Middle and High School Teachers in China
- Dipont Education, China (CN)
- School Sales Specialist
- 6crickets Inc., Greater Boston Area, Greater NYC area, Greater Washington DC area, Connecticut, New Jersey
- Head of School / Principal
- La Academia Partnership Charter School, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- JOB FAIR at THE SEED SCHOOL OF MARYLAND on March 2, 2019 from 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
- SEED School of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- Director, Improvement and Impact Design Team
- Battelle for Kids, Columbus, Ohio