January 10, 1990
Vol. 09, Issue 16
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
In a decision with national implications, a federal district judge has struck down a U.S. Education Department regulation governing the allocation of federal Chapter 1 remedial-education aid to students in church-affiliated schools. Acting in a case brought by Missouri taxpayers, U.S. District Judge Joseph E. Stevens Jr. ruled on Dec. 21 that the federal rule forcing states and school districts to deduct the cost of aiding parochial-school students "off the top" of their entire Chapter 1 allocations violates the First Amendment's ban on government establishment of religion.
PAGE 48 - Commentary
Decades cannot easily be characterized without running the risk of oversimplification.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Vice President for Academic Services
- Oklahoma School of Science and Math, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Variety of Teaching, Support & Coaching Positions in beautiful, western, Colorado!
- Garfield School District Re-2, Nationwide
- 9-12 Math Teacher (2018-19)
- West Charlotte IB High School, Charlotte, North Carolina
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- Teach Western Mass - Openings in Math/SPED/ESL!
- Teach Western Mass, Springfield, Massachusetts