March 15, 1989
Vol. 08, Issue 25
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
Reforms based on effective-schools research may be inconsistent with the democratic governance of public schools, according to John E. Chubb, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, and Terry M. Moe, associate professor of political science at Stanford University.
PAGE 44 - Commentary
With an access to young people unrivaled by any other social institution, schools are being asked to play a greater role than ever before in serving the nonacademic needs of students, especially those who are classified as "at risk." But because they are neither health nor social-service experts, educators are understandably hesitant to take on all of the complex social problems of such children.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Superintendent, Chambersburg Area School District
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship
- Department Of Energy, Washington D.C.
- Chief Financial Officer
- Portsmouth Public Schools, Portsmouth, Virginia
- Superintendent, Birmingham Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Beverly Hills, Michigan
- Director of Finance and Grants Administration
- GREENBURGH ELEVEN UFSD, Dobbs Ferry, New York