March 1, 1989
Vol. 08, Issue 23
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 24 - Commentary
Major reports in this decade have made it eminently clear that the current generation of young people in this country differs substantially from previous generations. A much greater proportion of today's young face serious socioeconomic barriers that may hamper their successful completion of school.
PAGE 36 - Commentary
While a back-to-basics movement has figured prominently in the reform agenda of recent years, one "basic" has not been taken along for the ride on the bandwagon: arts education.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Online Course Content Writer
- #T.E.A.C.H. (Training Educators And Creating Hope), Plymouth, Michigan
- Chief Executive Officer
- New Foundations Charter School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Superintendent of Schools
- Sheridan County School District 2, Sheridan, Wyoming
- Chief Technology Officer
- Indian Prairie School District 204, Naperville, Illinois
- Deputy Superintendent of Academics
- Providence Public Schools, Providence, Rhode Island