January 25, 1989
Vol. 08, Issue 18
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
A new rule that would deny athletic scholarships to college freshmen who fail to meet the National Collegiate Athletic Association's minimum academic standards was the center of mounting confusion and controversy last week.
The company that pioneered the placement of advertiser-supported wall posters in American schools is now targeting students with the most powerful medium of all--television.
PAGE 40 - Commentary
American education is awash these days in hoary cliches and trendy maxims thought to be true because they sound so plausible, because we've been hearing them for so long, or because someone we're inclined to trust is uttering them. But many of these shards of conventional wisdom are unproven. A large number are oversimplifications at best, falsehoods at worst. Some are lightly camouflaged fragments of inertia, self-interest, or wishful thinking.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Superintendent - Bessemer, Alabama
- Alabama Association of School Boards, Bessemer, Alabama
- Special Education Teacher
- JCFS Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- Teacher and Teaching Assistants (Birth - Grade 2)
- League Education and Treatment Center, Brooklyn, New York
- Teacher (K4-8) Monolingual English or Bilingual English/Spanish
- La Causa, Inc. / La Causa Charter School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Partner Engagement Manager
- AVID Center, Southern California