September 7, 1988
Vol. 08, Issue 01
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 45 - Commentary
The purity of experience and the immediate gratification of an athletic contest are rarely matched outside the sporting arena. Sports create stars who capture the limelight for a day, a week, a season, or even a career. Some players become metaphors for the meaning of excellence.
PAGE 56 - Commentary
Recent allegations of sexual abuse in schools and day-care centers have left both teachers and parents anxious. Though more abuse takes place in homes than in classrooms, many people more willingly suspect school personnel than their friends and neighbors.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- School Designer
- Abl, San Francisco, California
- High School Principal
- Garfield School District Re-2, Rifle, Colorado
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- Vice President for Academic Services
- Oklahoma School of Science and Math, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Science Curriculum Coordinator (JK-12)
- Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge, Massachusetts