March 9, 1988
Vol. 07, Issue 24
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 19 - Commentary
A recent issue of Time magazine contained an advertising insert for a prominent San Francisco corporation and the building that bears its name. As I opened the section, the city's skyline and the Transamerica building popped up, with the Golden Gate Bridge and the bay in the background. Although the advertisement took my breath away, I later realized that we have come to expect, if not the design and color quality of this particular ad, then something approaching its visual allure in all of our reading material.
PAGE 28 - Commentary
If we are to make essential changes in schools, we must work hard to suspend our disbelief in proposals that seem too radical for realization. A knee-jerk reaction that an idea cannot work--or will never be implemented--too often cuts off healthy debate and reinforces the status quo.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- 9-12 Math Teacher (2018-19)
- West Charlotte IB High School, Charlotte, North Carolina
- High School Principal - award winning school in beautiful CAPE COD, MA
- Nauset Public Schools, Eastham, Massachusetts
- Science Curriculum Coordinator (JK-12)
- Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Vice President for Academic Services
- Oklahoma School of Science and Math, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Teach Western Mass - Openings in Math/SPED/ESL!
- Teach Western Mass, Springfield, Massachusetts