May 20, 1987
Vol. 06, Issue 34
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 19 - Commentary
After looking back on my experience with education issues as a U.S. Representative, a member of the President's National Commission on Excellence in Education, and Governor of Minnesota, I have concluded that the recommendations for school reform made in A Nation at Risk are inadequate.
PAGE 28 - Commentary
Changes in kindergarten over the last 20 years have been so far-reaching that one can hardly find vestiges of the original purposes for its development in many schools, whether public or private. And in many instances, kindergarten has become a harmful experience for the children for whom it was originally conceived.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Science Curriculum Coordinator (JK-12)
- Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- Charter School Teachers
- RCMA Charter Schools, Immokalee, Florida
- Director - Instructional Leadership
- Center for Educational Leadership, University of Washington College of Education, Nationwide
- Math Specialist
- Roosevelt Children's Academy, Roosevelt, New York