April 8, 1987
Vol. 06, Issue 28
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 22 - Commentary
Wellford W. Wilms, in "Job Training Not a Job for Schools'' (Commentary, Feb. 18, 1987), thinks the Reagan Administration's proposal for cutting all federal funding for vocational education in 1988 is good news.
The primary reason Wellford W. Wilms gives for his proposal to separate education from vocational training is to raise the economic productivity of our labor force and expand employment. However, the job-shortage problem and America's declining economic competitiveness are not simply results of functional illiteracy and lack of entry-level job skills, as he assumes.
PAGE 32 - Commentary
Until fairly recently, I thought the best way to deal with the increasing social problems of teen-age pregnancy and teen-age mothers was to set up programs for these students within the framework of regular high schools.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- High School Principal - Monument Mountain Regional High School
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Great Barrington, Massachusetts
- High School Principal - award winning school in beautiful CAPE COD, MA
- Nauset Public Schools, Eastham, Massachusetts
- Charter School Teachers
- RCMA Charter Schools, Immokalee, Florida
- Science Curriculum Coordinator (JK-12)
- Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Teach Western Mass - Openings in Math/SPED/ESL!
- Teach Western Mass, Springfield, Massachusetts