May 5, 1982
Vol. 01, Issue 32
For past issues, select from the drop-down menu.
PAGE 19 - Commentary
One of the basic requirements of both the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Air Force is that commanders of flying units stay current as pilots. This policy increases the chance that the commander has kept up enough with changes in flying and flight equipment for his decisions to make sense to those who will have to carry them out.
The day after the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) released encouraging data on the nation's reading achievement, the headline appearing on page one of The New York Times read: "Reading Data Indicate Decline in Reasoning Ability."
PAGE 24 - Commentary
One of the virtues of free public education has been the public's freedom to criticize it.
FOUNDATION SUPPORT: Coverage of specific topics in Education Week is supported in part by grants from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the CME Group Foundation, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the NoVo Foundation, the Noyce Foundation, the Raikes Foundation, the Wallace Foundation, and the Walton Family Foundation. The newspaper retains sole editorial control over the content of the articles that are underwritten by the foundations. Additional grants in support of Editorial Projects in Education’s data journalism and video capacity come from the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust and the Schott Foundation for Public Education. (Updated 1/1/2017)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- Middle School Art Teacher
- Nansha College Preparatory Academy, Guangzhou, Guangdong (CN)
- Vance County Schools Opportunity Culture Advanced Teaching and Paraprofessional Positions
- Vance County Schools, Henderson, North Carolina
- President - President Southern Association of Independent Schools
- SAIS, Norcross, Georgia
- Portland Public Schools - Deputy Superintendent of Business & Operations
- Portland Public Schools, Portland, Oregon
- Program Manager, eLearning (Corwin)
- SAGE Publishing, Thousand Oaks, California