Data: When Will School Start This Fall?
A guide to states’ dates for starting the 2020-21 school year
Updated: July 10, 2020
This page will be updated when new information becomes available.
The start of the 2020-21 academic year is shaping up to be as unprecedented as the end of the current school year because of COVID-19. Exactly when the 2020-21 academic year can begin—typically a decision that’s the purview of individual districts—is in limbo because of ongoing challenges around containing the spread of the deadly virus.
States are moving forward with setting requirements or guidelines for local schools and districts to use as they decide when instruction—in-person, online, or a combination of both—will begin.
Education Week is tracking when public schools in each state will start the new academic year. See this table for information on each state.
For more information see our original map of school closures, detailed coverage of each state’s closures, and our full coverage of the novel coronavirus and its impact on schools.
- Date: State has a start date for 2020-21
- Varies by District: Districts will determine their own start dates for 2020-21
- Not Yet Determined: State has not determined if 2020-21 start date will be decided at the state or district level, or if there will be a single, statewide start date for all districts
- Planning Your 2020-21 School Year? Use Our 'Guide to the Guides' on Reopening
- Watch: The CDC Guidance on Reopening Schools, Explained
- Teachers Hungry for State Leadership on School Reopenings
- What School Reopening Looks Like Around the World
- COVID-19 Testing Key to Reopening Schools, Health Officials Tell Senators
- Teachers at Higher Risk of COVID-19 Wonder: Should I Even Go Back?
For media or research inquiries about this table and data, contact [email protected]. To contribute data or information, use the comments below.
How to Cite This Page
Data: When Will School Start This Fall? (2020, May 18). Education Week. Retrieved Month Day, Year from https://www.edweek.org/ew/section/multimedia/data-when-will-school-start-this-fall.html
Reporting/Analysis: Education Week staff
Design/Visualization: Hyon-Young Kim & Emma Patti Harris