Published Online: May 21, 2013
Updated: July 20, 2015
Demographics and Performance: A D.C. SchoolEducation Week spent six months reporting on how the District of Columbia’s vision of the common-core English/language arts standards is being put into practice in one 8th grade classroom at one school, Stuart-Hobson Middle School on Capitol Hill. The District of Columbia has taken on an aggressive K-12 implementation of the common standards, a particular challenge since its academic performance lags behind that of the United States as a whole. Stuart-Hobson Middle School faces fewer challenges to success than many of Washington’s schools, in part because it serves fewer disadvantaged children.
Designed by: Linda Jurkowitz | Data Sources: National Center for Education Statistics; District of Columbia Public Schools
Vol. 32, Issue 32
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Most Popular Stories
- ARTS ADMINISTRATOR - Office Staff
- Myriad Music School and Dance Academy, San Mateo, California
- Arlington Public Schools, Arlington, Virginia
- President- Saint Martin de Porres High School
- Saint Martin de Porres High School, Cleveland, Ohio
- Headmaster - Boston Latin Academy
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, Massachusetts
- Associate Head of School
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, Florida