The bill, which passed in the Senate by a vote of 27 to 18, is aimed at ensuring that students who live in small school districts have access to the same courses as students in larger districts.
The certification bill--which was supported by the state's major teachers' organization and opposed by the Iowa Department of Public Instruction--would have created a new certification board that included teachers and required prospective teachers to pass a basic-skills test, as well as professional and subject-matter tests, before receiving a certificate.
Judge James A. Weaver said he was not convinced that Jesse and Nancy Shuler, who removed their three children from the public schools last year, were breaking Iowa's laws on home schooling.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Best of Daily Newspapers
Des Moines Register— May 13
Des Moines Register— May 12
Des Moines Register— May 11
- Division Director 1
- WestEd, San Francisco, California
- Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education
- Cambridge Public Schools, Cambridge, MA, US
- Literacy Coach
- Denali Borough School District, Healy, Alaska
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona
- Teacher, 2020-2021 School Year (All Subject and Grades K-12)
- New Foundations Charter School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania