All of the 427 plans submitted to and approved by the state education department last month call for differential pay for teachers. Only 56 plans, though, propose for the first year of the program to award raises based partially or entirely on classroom performance.
Secretary of State Elaine Baxter said such an effort should be part of an overall campaign to improve students' understanding of the political process and to encourage their participation. She said she would ask the state education department to assist in the effort.
The suit, Pruessner v. Benton (Case No. 85-671), stems from a 1982 decision by the Iowa Board of Public Instruction to deny the church's request that its members be declared exempt from compliance with the state's truancy law.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Best of Daily Newspapers
Des Moines Register— May 13
Des Moines Register— May 12
Des Moines Register— May 11
- Elementary Principal - Pine Grove
- Hernando County School Board, Spring Hill, Florida
- 4th Grade Teacher
- Saint Hilary School, Tiburon, California
- Kindergarten Teacher
- SOAR Elementary School, Denver, Colorado
- Special Education Teacher
- Jewish Child and Family Services, Chicago, Illinois
- Teacher (K4-8) Monolingual English or Bilingual English/Spanish
- La Causa, Inc. / La Causa Charter School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin