All of the 427 plans submitted to and approved by the state education department last month call for differential pay for teachers. Only 56 plans, though, propose for the first year of the program to award raises based partially or entirely on classroom performance.
Secretary of State Elaine Baxter said such an effort should be part of an overall campaign to improve students' understanding of the political process and to encourage their participation. She said she would ask the state education department to assist in the effort.
The suit, Pruessner v. Benton (Case No. 85-671), stems from a 1982 decision by the Iowa Board of Public Instruction to deny the church's request that its members be declared exempt from compliance with the state's truancy law.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Best of Daily Newspapers
Des Moines Register— May 13
Des Moines Register— May 12
Des Moines Register— May 11
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- Assistant Professor, Psychology (School Counseling Program)
- Lewis University, Romeoville, Illinois
- 2019-2020 School Psychologist
- Newport News Public Schools, Newport News, VA, US
- Director of Secondary Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Job
- Hartford School District, White River Junction, Vermont
- Elementary School Principal
- Hartford School District, Quechee, Vermont