District of Columbia
The Buffalo, N.Y., school district has sparked controversy from many quarters in its unusually aggressive bid to operate a group of its own charter schools. Now its first official step toward building that network of schools has been very publicly rebuffed by the state department of education.
February 23, 2005 – Education Week
Only 6 percent of the students participating in the first year of the federally financed private-school-voucher program for the District of Columbia came from public schools designated as being in need of improvement, according to a report released last week by the People for the American Way Foundation.
February 16, 2005 – Education Week
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Best of Daily Newspapers
The Washington Post— May 15
The Washington Post— May 14
USA Today— May 12
Most Popular Stories
- ELA TEACHER
- Community Group, Lawrence, MA, US
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona
- Executive Director
- Tarrant To and Through Partnership (T3), Fort Worth, Texas
- Assistant Principal
- The New York Institute for Special Education, Bronx, New York
- Special Education Teacher
- Greenwich Education Group, Stamford, Connecticut