What We Know About: Writing Across the Curriculum to Increase Student Learning in Middle and High School
- Curriculum and Instruction
Writing is a fundamental skill students need to be successful. Embedding writing instruction, as well as opportunities to write, into all content areas is key to improving student achievement at the middle and high school levels.
The research findings in this ERS publication will help your teachers become successful at incorporating writing activities into their curricula. This publication provides the opportunity for your staff to learn what works in writing instruction and benefit from specific suggestions of how to provide opportunities for writing to reinforce learning. 107 pages.
Table of Contents
I. Writing at the Middle and High School Levels 1
II. Learning to Read and Learning to Write— Two Complementary Processes 7
III. Teaching Writing—The Fundamentals 17
IV. Strategies for Writing to Learn 33
V. Writing in Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies 57
VI. Assessment of Student Writing: Purposes, Approaches, and Tools 67
VII. Helping Struggling Writers 79
VIII. Taking a Schoolwide Approach 91
Bulk discount: Purchase 1-4 copies for $20 each, 5-9 copies for $17.50 each, or 10+ copies for $15 each (discount applied at checkout)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- After School Teacher for Small Groups
- Catapult Learning LLC, Bradenton, Florida
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- Account Executive - Territory Sales Representative K-12 - Texas
- Abre, Nationwide
- Elementary Teacher
- Cherokee Central School, Cherokee, North Carolina
- ESE Teacher
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, Florida