What We Know About: Reading at the Middle and High School Levels, Building Active Readers Across the Curriculum, Third Edition
- Curriculum and Instruction
Reading skills are crucial to the academic achievement of students at the middle and high school levels. Do your students have the strategic reading skills they need to succeed? Do your teachers effectively integrate reading instruction into their classes? What do your teachers do if they have students who have difficulty reading?
Through this resource you and your staff will learn: approaches to help poor readers develop good reading habits; ways to increase student interest in reading for pleasure; how to effectively incorporate reading into subject areas; and how to motivate students to become engaged readers. 132 pages.
Table of Contents
I. Introduction: The Need for High-Quality Literacy Instruction in Secondary Schools 1
II. Phonics versus Literature Immersion: What Struggling Readers Need 13
III. Motivational Factors Related to Reading 17
IV. Approaches for Actively Engaging Students in Reading 23
V. Developing Good Reading Comprehension Strategies 49
VI. Assessment: Purposes and Approaches 69
VII. Issues Specific to Content-Area Reading 79
VIII. Schoolwide Support for Literacy Instruction 91
Bulk discount: Purchase 1-4 copies for $20 each, 5-9 copies for $17.50 each, or 10+ copies for $15 each (discount applied at checkout)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Montgomery County, Maryland is actively recruiting Principals and Assistant Principals, all levels
- Montgomery County Public Schools, Montgomery County, Maryland
- ELA TEACHER
- Community Group, Lawrence, MA, US
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- ESE Teacher
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, Florida
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona