Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits
- Education Policy and Trends
In Reading in the Wild, reading expert Donalyn Miller continues the conversation that began in her bestselling book, The Book Whisperer. Her original book revealed the secrets of getting students to love reading, now in Reading in the Wild, written with reading teacher Susan Kelley, Miller describes how to truly instill lifelong "wild" reading habits in our students. Based, in part, on survey responses from adult readers as well as students, this book offers solid advice and strategies on how to develop, encourage, and assess five key reading habits that cultivate a lifelong love of reading. Also included are strategies, lesson plans, management tools, and comprehensive lists of recommended books. Reading in the Wild is packed with ideas for helping students build capacity for a lifetime of reading.
Table of Contents
I. Wild Readers Dedicate Time to Read 5
II. Wild Readers Self-Select Reading Material 42
III. Wild Readers Share Books and Reading with Other Readers 87
IV. Wild Readers Have Reading Plans 135
V. Wild Readers Show Preferences 162
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- ELA TEACHER
- Community Group, Lawrence, MA, US
- High School Math Instructional Coach
- KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Senior Associate, Development & External Affairs
- Close Up Foundation, Alexandria, Virginia
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona