Evidence suggests that there is a crisis in adolescent literacy. Part of the problem is that students often receive little literacy instruction after elementary school. This Focus On examines the literacy instruction that adolescents need to be successful as they move on to more challenging texts in middle and high school. In addition, this publication reviews teaching strategies that can be used to develop literacy skills in all classrooms. The characteristics of effective adolescent literacy programs, struggling readers, and ways of motivating students to read are discussed.
Bulk discount: Purchase 15 or more copies for $3.00 each (discount applied at checkout)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Remote English Teaching for Rural Chinese Children (Up to 30$/hour)
- Teachplus, Working from home
- Teacher (various openings, grades 5-8)
- Equitas Academy Charter Schools, Los Angeles, California
- Classroom Teacher
- Carondelet Leadership Academy, Saint Louis, Missouri
- Senior Director of Supports for Instruction (Smarter Balanced)
- Smarter Balanced, Working from home
- Associate Superintendent - Chief Academic Officer
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Charlotte, North Carolina