Evidence suggests that there is a crisis in adolescent literacy. Part of the problem is that students often receive little literacy instruction after elementary school. This Focus On examines the literacy instruction that adolescents need to be successful as they move on to more challenging texts in middle and high school. In addition, this publication reviews teaching strategies that can be used to develop literacy skills in all classrooms. The characteristics of effective adolescent literacy programs, struggling readers, and ways of motivating students to read are discussed.
Bulk discount: Purchase 15 or more copies for $3.00 each (discount applied at checkout)
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- ESE Teacher
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, Florida
- Teacher (K4-8) Monolingual English or Bilingual English/Spanish
- La Causa, Inc. / La Causa Charter School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- Kindergarten Teacher
- SOAR Elementary School, Denver, Colorado
- Account Executive - Territory Sales Representative K-12 - Texas
- Abre, Nationwide