Understanding Formative Assessment: A Live Chat With An Expert
This chat took place on Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 2 to 3 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat.
Understanding Formative Assessment: A Live Chat With An ExpertTuesday, November 17, 2015, 2 to 3 p.m. ET
If you ask five teachers what formative assessment is, you’ll probably get five different answers. Even in a field of professionals devoted to helping students learn, misunderstandings about formative assessment abound. One teacher might say it’s when she gives her Friday quiz, or her end-of-unit test. Another will say it’s the feedback he gets from hand-held devices that record what students have learned in real time. Many teachers will say that formative assessment is just about any tool or strategy that helps them find out what students know as they’re learning. In this live chat, Richard J. Stiggins, a national authority on classroom assessment for student learning, will answer your questions about what formative assessment is—and isn’t.
Richard J. Stiggins (@RStiggins), founder,the Assessment Training Institute, and national authority on classroom assessments in support of student learning
Catherine Gewertz (@cgewertz), associate editor, Education Week
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Newport News Foundation Director
- Newport News Public Schools, Newport News, VA, US
- University Guidance Counselor. IB School. Dubai.
- Galvin Education, Dubai (City) (AE)
- High School Principal
- Lewiston-Porter CSD, Youngstown, New York
- Montgomery County, Maryland is actively recruiting Principals and Assistant Principals, all levels
- Montgomery County Public Schools, Montgomery County, Maryland
- High School Math Instructional Coach
- KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania