The American education system has a long list of programs intended to serve students who need something more from teachers than standard instruction. There is special education for students with disabilities, for example, and English-language assistance for students who are new to the United States.
But what about the homeless child who also needs special education services? The student caught in the juvenile justice system? The immigrant child living in fear of deportation?
This report focuses on these and other fragile student populations, their needs, and the challenges educators face in engaging them in learning.
Education Week Experts
REPRINT THIS REPORT
Contact [email protected].
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Special Education Teacher
- Greenwich Education Group, Stamford, Connecticut
- Montgomery County, Maryland is actively recruiting Principals and Assistant Principals, all levels
- Montgomery County Public Schools, Montgomery County, Maryland
- Superintendent of Schools
- Brunswick School Department, Brunswick, Maine
- Supervisor of Technology
- Hernando County School Board, Spring Hill, Florida
- ESE Teacher
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, Florida