State Highlights Reports
The Quality Counts 2018 Highlights Reports capture the key data you need to assess your state's performance. Snapshots from each state’s report can be accessed using the drop-down menu below.
State Highlights Reports are available for each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia and compare individual state data to national data. The National Highlights Report includes the national average and data for the top and bottom states.
|Quality Counts Highlights Reports|
|National Summary Report|
About these reports:
The 22nd annual edition of Quality Counts continues Education Week’s long-standing tradition of grading the states on their performance. The overall grades for the nation and the states are the average of scores on the three separate indices tracked by the report.
Your report includes:
State Summative Grades
Chance-for-Success Index (2018)
The Chance-for-Success Index combines information from 13 indicators that span a person’s life from cradle to career in order to better understand the role of education across an individual’s lifetime.
School Finance (2018)
The School Finance Analysis examines both school spending and measures of financial equity, which capture the distribution of funding across districts within a state.
K-12 Achievement (2018)
The K-12 Achievement Index scores states based on 18 distinct achievement measures related to reading and math performance, high school graduation rates, and the results of Advanced Placement exams.
You may also like reports from previous years:
Source: Education Week Research Center, September 2018
- • See Also: "How Do You Go About Calculating Student Success? It's Complicated"
- • See Also: "Here's What's Behind the Nation's 'C' Grade on Student Achievement"
- • See Also: "When It Comes to Setting Students Up for Success, Nation Earns a 'C'"
- • See Also: "Is It Time for the American Approach to Assessment to Change?"
- • See Also: "The Keys to Student Success Include Starting Early and Following Through"
Vol. 38, Issue 3