Links in Education Week: Oct. 31, 2007
PAGES 1, 13
Gains Seen in Retooled Teacher Ed.:
• "Value Added Assessment of Teacher Preparation in Louisiana: 2004-2006" is posted by the Louisiana Board of Regents.
Study Examines Leadership Needs:
• "A Mission of the Heart: What Does It Take to Transform a School?" is published by the Wallace Foundation.
• "A National Portrait of Chronic Absenteeism in the Early Grades" is available from the National Center for Children in Poverty.
Athlete Drug Testing:
• "Outcomes of a Prospective Trial of Student-Athlete Drug Testing: The Student Athlete Testing Using Random Notification (SATURN) Study" appeared in the November 2007 issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health.
• "English, Language Education, and America’s Future" is published by the National Association of State Boards of Education.
How NAEP Works:
• "Understanding NAEP: Inside the Nation's Education Report Card" is available from Education Sector.
Assistance for New Teachers:
• "New Teacher Support Pays Off: A Return on Investment for Educators and Kids" is published by the New Teacher Center.
Home-Based 'Digital Divide':
• "Children, Families, and Media: A Benchmark" is available from the Ready to Learn Partnership.
Commercialism in Schools:
• "Adrift: Schools in a Total Marketing Environment" is posted by Arizona State University's Commercialism in Education Research Unit.
Online Learning in Higher Ed.:
• "Online Nation: Five Years of Growth in Online Learning" is available from the Sloan Consortium.
New Small Schools in N.Y.C. Post Higher Graduation Rate:
The final report on the New Century High Schools was conducted by Policy Studies Associates Inc.
Study Finds No ‘Educational Triage’ Driven by NCLB:
"Accountability Incentives" appeared in the Oct. 31 issue of Education Next.
State, Local Officials Again Find ‘Reading First’ Useful:
"Reading First: Locally Appreciated, Nationally Troubled" is posted by the Center on Education Policy.
Ed. Dept. Holds Firm on Racial-Data Rules:
"Final Guidance on Maintaining, Collecting, and Reporting Racial and Ethnic Data to the U.S. Department of Education" appeared in the Federal Register on Oct. 19.
Vol. 27, Issue 10
Back to Top