High court accepts appeal notices in school funding case

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire's supreme court has accepted appeal notices filed by the state and several school districts in a lawsuit that challenges the method for funding public schools.

The court, in its order Wednesday, also said the case appears to be eligible for mediation if all the parties agree.

The ConVal, Mascenic, Winchester, and Monadnock school districts sued the state, the Department of Education, Commissioner Frank Edelblut and Gov. Chris Sununu earlier this year. The suit said the state's duty to provide and pay for an adequate education hasn't been accomplished.

A superior court judge ruled in June that the method for funding public schools is unconstitutional. The state then filed notice that it planned to appeal the ruling, followed by a cross-appeal notice from the school districts.


Web Only

Notice: We recently upgraded our comments. (Learn more here.) If you are logged in as a subscriber or registered user and already have a Display Name on edweek.org, you can post comments. If you do not already have a Display Name, please create one here.
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented