Board rejects Michigan's plan to save Benton Harbor schools

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. (AP) — The Benton Harbor school board has rejected a tentative agreement that would have staved off the closing of the city's high school.

During a special meeting Tuesday, the five-member board unanimously rejected a resolution calling for it to work with the state of Michigan on the proposed deal.

Board president Stephen Mitchell said school officials want to work with the state, but need to have "trust and collaboration" before a deal is made.

Board members said they were angry with state officials for saying a proposed deal with them had been reached. Board members say there is no tentative agreement.

State officials said the deal called for the school district to improve the academic performance of its 1,800 students and simultaneously reduce its $18 million debt.

Board member Patricia Rush said Benton Harbor would never agree to a deal that includes the high school's closing.


Web Only

Notice: We recently upgraded our comments. (Learn more here.) If you are logged in as a subscriber or registered user and already have a Display Name on edweek.org, you can post comments. If you do not already have a Display Name, please create one here.
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented