Attorney: Suspect in Vermont school plot could be released

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont's top public defender says he thinks the teenager accused of planning a school shooting that led to changes in the state's gun laws should be released following a bail hearing.

Jack Sawyer is due in court Tuesday.

The 18-year-old Sawyer has been held without bail since being arrested in February on charges that include attempted aggravated murder.

Last week, the Vermont Supreme Court ruled Sawyer's actions in planning a shooting at the Fair Haven Union High School didn't meet the legal definition of an attempt, so it sent the case back to the lower court for a bail hearing.

Defender General Matthew Valerio, who oversees public defenders, says bail is designed to ensure a suspect appears in court, and Sawyer should be released.

The prosecutor's office would not comment on what might take place at the hearing.


Web Only

Notice: We recently upgraded our comments. (Learn more here.) If you are logged in as a subscriber or registered user and already have a Display Name on edweek.org, you can post comments. If you do not already have a Display Name, please create one here.
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented