"Six Key Strategies"
The Council of Chief State School Officers, a nonpartisan group of education chiefs across the country, has released a guidebook for state policymakers to build stronger pipelines into the profession.
The group identifies six key strategies states should consider to recruit, prepare, and support teachers:
• Elevate the teaching profession to combat the view that teachers are held in low regard.
• Make teaching a financially appealing career.
• Expand pathways to enter teaching, from targeting high school students to military veterans.
• Bring more diversity to the teaching workforce.
• Set reasonable expectations for retaining teachers and rethink policies that align with young workers' career expectations.
Use data to target strategies where shortages exist.
Vol. 37, Issue 15, Page 4Published in Print: December 13, 2017, as Teacher Recruitment