Links in Education Week: Jan. 5, 2005
This page provides links to reports and resources highlighted in this issue of Education Week. The headlines show the Education Week stories in which the references appear. The links below them will take you to resource materials on other Web sites.
- Read more about the Education Week Research Center's finance survey in Quality Counts 2005.
- "Learning for Tomorrow's World: First Results From PISA 2003" is available online from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, along with a summary of the report. "Highlights From the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study 2003" is also available online from the National Center for Education Statistics. ()
- "The Expectations Gap - A 50-State Review of High School Graduation Requirements" is available online from Achieve, Inc., along with an executive summary. ()
- Learn more about the White-tailed Deer Education Trunk from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
- "America's Charter Schools: Results From the NAEP 2003 Pilot Study," is available online from the National Center for Education Statistics. The report, "Achievement in Charter Schools and Regular Public Schools in the United States: Understanding the Differences" is also offered online from Harvard University. ()
- "Achieving State and National Literacy Goals, a Long Uphill Road" is available online from the RAND Corporation, as well as a summary of the report. ()
- "The Role of Advanced Placement and Honors Courses in College Admissions" is available online from the University of California at Berkeley. ()
- "Searching the Attic: How States Are Responding to the Nation's Goal of Placing a Highly Qualified Teacher in Every Classroom" is available online from the National Council on Teacher Quality. ()
- "The New Latino South and the Challenge to Public Education" is available online from The Tomás Rivera Policy Institute. ()
- Good and Bad News on Teenage Drug Use:
Results from the "2004 Monitoring the Future Survey" are available online from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. ()
- Education Spending:
The "Report Card on American Education: A State-by-State Analysis: 1981-2003" is available online from the American Legislative Exchange Council. ()
- Retention Research:
"An Evaluation of Florida's Program to End Social Promotion" is available online from the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research. ()
- Student Discipline:
"Toward Safe and Orderly Schools - The National Study of Delinquency Prevention in Schools" is available online from the National Institute of Justice. ()
- English Learning:
"Language Assimilation Today: Bilingualism Persists More Than in the Past, But English Still Dominates" is available online from The State University of New York at Albany. ()
- Sexual Behavior:
"Teenagers in the United States: Sexual Activity, Contraceptive Use, and Childbearing 2002" is available online from the National Center for Health Statistics. ()
- "No Child Left Behind Act: Education Needs to Provide Additional Technical Assistance and Conduct Implementation Studies for School Choice Provision" is available online from the Government Accountability Office. ()