1. -Proposed replacement for vocational education state grants and other existing vocational education programs.
2. "Discretionary" appropriations subject to annual approval by Congress and the president. "Mandatory" appropriations triggered by existing law.
3. Administered by the Department of Health and Human Services.
4. Administered by the Department of Labor.
5. Administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, a division of the Department of the Interior.
6. The National Science Foundation and the Corporation for National Service function as independent agencies. NSF funding is allocated under its own heading as is Corporation for National Service funding.
Note: Not all programs are listed in each category, so items don't necessarily add up to total.
SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education and other federal agencies
Vol. 23, Issue 26, Page 29Published in Print: March 10, 2004, as FOOTNOTES