Summer Learning Sessions
- The Crow Canyon Archaeological Center offers programs in which teachers learn about archaeology and work at a field site: www.crowcanyon.org/LearningCenter/educators.html.
- The Exploratorium, a science museum in San Francisco, runs programs for new and experienced teachers of that subject to help them learn scientific concepts and new ways of teaching them: www.exploratorium.edu/ti/programs/index.html.
- The National Endowment for the Humanities underwrites a series of events at museums and other cultural institutions: www.neh.gov/projects/si-school.html.
- The National Science Foundation has made grants to Teaching and Learning Centers that are trying to improve the skills of mathematics and science teachers. Several offer summer professional development: www.ehr.nsf.gov/esie/programs/clt/clt.asp.
- The U.S. Space Camp in Huntsville, Ala., has weeklong experiences through which teachers learn the ins and outs of the U.S. space program: www.spacecamp.com/spacecamp/spacecamp/educators.jtml.
Vol. 22, Issue 42, Page 7Published in Print: July 9, 2003, as Summer Learning Sessions