- Craft comprehensive state policies on writing.
- Provide professional-development and preservice programs that prepare all teachers to offer appropriate writing opportunities in their subjects.
- Double the time spent writing in school, and encourage after-school writing.
- Devise and use better methods of measuring students' writing proficiency.
- Tap technology to expand writing opportunities and student discussions about writing.
Vol. 22, Issue 33, Page 10Published in Print: April 30, 2003, as Commission Recommendations