Research and Resources
Here is some additional research information on some of the programs and studies mentioned in this article:
- The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning this month published a review of the research on character-development programs and other kinds of social- and emotional-learning programs. "Safe and Sound: An Education Leader's Guide to Evidence-Based Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Programs" can be downloaded from the group's Web site at www.casel.org.
- A summary of two decades of research on the Child Development Project is available on the organization's Web site at www.devstu.org/cdp/.
- The American Journal of Health Behavior in January published a study looking at the long-term effects of the Positive Action Program. A study on the program was also featured in Prevention Science in 2001, Volume 2, Number 2.
- "Preventing Violence and Teaching Peace: A Review of Promising and Effective Antiviolence, Conflict-Resolution, and Peace Programs for Elementary School Children" was published in the journal Applied and Preventive Psychology in 2001.
- The Second Step program was the focus of a randomized, controlled experiment described in a 1997 article in the Journal of the American Medical Association. A summary of that study can be found at www.cfchildren.org.
- Descriptions of studies on The Responsive Classroom can be read
at the group's Web site at www.responsiveclassroom.org.
Vol. 22, Issue 33, Page 41Published in Print: April 30, 2003, as Research and Resources