20 years ago... OCT. 13, 1982
- The U.S. Supreme Court agrees to hear a Minnesota case testing
the constitutionality of state tax deductions used
primarily by parents of private school students.
- Richard S. Schweiker, the federal secretary of health and human services, announces an initiative aimed at curbing alcohol abuse among young people.
- The U.S. Census Bureau reports that private school enrollment fell by 31 percent between 1964 and 1979.
10 years ago ... OCT. 14, 1992
- The two national teachers' unions are pulling out all the stops to help elect Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton to the White House.
- The private management company Education Alternatives Inc. fights an uphill battle to gain contracts to run public schools.
- Despite the lack of a congressional go-ahead, the National Education Goals Panel plans to form a council to oversee the development of national subject-area standards and a related system of assessments.
Vol. 22, Issue 6, Page 6Published in Print: October 9, 2002, as Retrospective