Path to Improvement
The Department of Education has drawn up a list of annual goals to improve its financial-management systems. Among the highlights:
By Fiscal 2002:
- The Education Department will achieve a "clean" audit
- External and internal accountability problems will have been
- The agency will minimize student-loan defaults and improve collections of student loans.
By Fiscal 2003:
- Program managers will have financial data necessary to manage
- Student-aid programs will be less vulnerable to fraud, waste,
error, and mismanagement.
- The agency will conduct business with customers online to the
fullest extent possible.
- Managers will have tools and flexibility to recruit top-notch job
- The agency will set the standard for performance accountability among federal agencies.
By Fiscal 2004:
- Employees will possess skills necessary to do their
- The department will earn a Certificate of Excellence for Accountability Reporting from the Association of Government Accountants.
Vol. 21, Issue 10, Page 40Published in Print: November 7, 2001, as Path to Improvement