Index of National Civic Health
The National Commission on Civic Renewal gave equal weight to five
categories in developing the index:
- Political components: Includes voter turnout and such
activities as signing a petition, writing to Congress, and making a
- Trust: Includes trust in others and confidence in the
- Membership: Includes participation in local groups, charitable contributions, and church attendance.
- Security components: Includes fear of crime and number of youth murderers per youth population.
- Family components: Includes divorce and births outside marriage.