The Future of Behavior
The following are listed in "Preparing Students for the 21st Century" as being among the behaviors that students will need to exhibit if they are to be successful:
- Understanding and practicing honesty, integrity, and the "golden rule."
- Respect for the value of effort, understanding the work ethic and the need for individual contributions, and self-discipline.
- Understanding and respect for those not like you--an appreciation of diversity.
- Capability to work with others as a team member.
- Taking increased responsibility for one's own actions.
- Respect for others and authority.
- Commitment to family life, personal life, and community.
- Pride in U.S. citizenship and knowledge of individual responsibilities in a democracy.
- Willingness to civilly resolve disagreements.
- Recognition and respect for educators.
- Being excited about life and setting goals for lifelong learning.
The American Association of School Administrators' full report is available from the AASA's distribution center for $11.95, plus shipping and handling. To order, call (301) 617-7802.
Vol. 15, Issue 20