School-Finance Suit Filed in Tenn.

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

A coalition of 66 rural Tennessee school districts has gone to court in an attempt to have the state's school-finance system struck down.

In papers filed with the chancery court in Nashville, the group--which calls itself the Tennessee Small School Systems--contends that the finance system unfairly favors districts located in urban and commercial areas, thus violating the state constitution.

"The thrust of the argument is that the school-funding system discriminates against poor, rural counties,'' said Lewis Donalson, the state finance commissioner under former Gov. Lamar Alexander and the lawyer representing the coalition.

Under the existing school-funding formula, the state establishes a minimum basic education cost and supplies funding for 92.5 percent of the expense. It requires local districts to generate the remaining 7.5 percent.

The formula allocates money based on average daily attendance, without regard to the local wealth of districts.

The coalition is also challenging a related law that requires that half of all locally collected sales-tax revenues be devoted to schools.

According to Mr. Donalson, in more populous counties the local levy can amount to $900 per student, compared with $100 per student in smaller counties.

Laws Abet Disparities

Mr. Donalson said that as a combined result of the existing aid formula and the local sales-tax law, wealthy districts are able to provide higher-quality education for their students.

For example, he said, such districts can afford lower student-teacher ratios and better equipment.

Mr. Donalson predicted that it could cost the state up to $400 million annually to equalize spending among districts.

Gov. Ned McWherter "hopes it can be a friendly lawsuit, illuminating the problem without setting counties against each other,'' according to Ken Renner, the Governor's spokesman.

Mr. Renner said legislative attempts to correct funding disparities failed in the last session because the proposal being considered would have required lawmakers to reduce aid for some districts in order to provide additional funding for others.

The Tennessee board of education also has been conducting a year-long study of ways to make the funding formula more equitable.

A hearing date has not been set in the case. --NM

Vol. 07, Issue 39 Extra Edition

Notice: We recently upgraded our comments. (Learn more here.) If you are logged in as a subscriber or registered user and already have a Display Name on, you can post comments. If you do not already have a Display Name, please create one here.
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories





Sponsor Insights

Effective Ways to Support Students with Dyslexia

Stop cobbling together your EdTech

Integrate Science and ELA with Informational Text

To Address Chronic Absenteeism, Dig into the Data

Can self-efficacy impact growth for ELLs?

Disruptive Tech Integration for Meaningful Learning

5 Game-Changers in Today’s Digital Learning Platforms

Keep Your Schools Safe and Responsive to Real Challenges

Hiding in Plain Sight - 7 Common Signs of Dyslexia in the Classroom

The research: Reading Benchmark Assessments

Shifting Mindsets: A Guide for Training Paraeducators to Think Differently About Challenging Behavior

All Students Are Language Learners: The Imagine Learning Language Advantage™

Shifting Mindsets: A Guide for Training Paraeducators to Think Differently About Challenging Behavior

How to Support All Students with Equitable Pathways

2019 K-12 Digital Content Report

3-D Learning & Assessment for K–5 Science

Climate Change, LGBTQ Issues, Politics & Race: Instructional Materials for Teaching Complex Topics

Closing the Science Achievement Gap

Evidence-based Coaching: Key Driver(s) of Scalable Improvement District-Wide

Advancing Literacy with Large Print

Research Sheds New Light on the Reading Brain

3 Unique Learner Profiles for Emerging Bilinguals

Effective Questioning Practices to Spur Thinking

Empower Reading Teachers with Proven Literacy PD

Student Engagement Lessons from 3 Successful Districts

Response to Intervention Centered on Student Learning

The Nonnegotiable Attributes of Effective Feedback

SEE MORE Insights >