Highlights of Tentative New York City
New York's tentative, 3-year custodians' contract, retroactive to July 1987, includes:
- Five percent salary increases in the first and second years, 4.5 percent in the third.
- A flat $5,900 increase in custodians' base salary to compensate for reductions in opening fees during certain days and hours.
- A reduction in starting salaries to $34,337 from $49,053.
- A requirement that custodians paint the interior of schools and assume other duties not included in past contracts, matched by $10 million in new maintenance funding from the board.
- No change in the requirement that school cafeterias be mopped once a week and classrooms be cleaned every other day.
- A change in the status of custodians' area supervisors from union employees to school-district managers.
- A one-year moratorium on the purchase of capital equipment by custodians, who have traditionally owned their equipment.
Vol. 07, Issue 36