The U.S. Education Department need not reconsider an application by the Boston School Committee for funding under the $75-million magnet-schools-assistance program, a federal judge has ruled. (See Education Week, June 10, 1987.)
U.S. District Judge Rya W. Zobel said in her ruling late last month that department officials appeared to have used consistent cri6teria in rejecting the school district's application, adding that "even if any abuse of discretion did occur, it constitutes harmless error."
Boston officials have maintained that the department failed to evaluate the city's student-assignment process when ranking the district's $4-million proposal 84th out of 126 applications for the federal aid. Only the top 37 proposals were funded.
The school committee has not decided whether to appeal the ruling, a spokesman said last week.
Vol. 07, Issue 10